The project can be split into the following work packages:
Work package 1 - Management
- Provision of efficient and effective consortium co-ordination, management, and administration
- Provision of efficient and effective scientific and technical coordination and management
Work package 2 - Robot body, actuators, and infrastructure
- Design, manufacture, and assembly of the planned series of compliant ECCEROBOT platforms.
- Optimisation of final design for deskilled manufacture and improved performance.
- Ad-hoc supply of test rigs as required by other partner for evaluation work.
Work package 3 - Sensor and sensory infrastructure
- To design, develop, and supply adequate sensor suite for the basic robot chassis.
- To design, develop, and supply a suitable distributed support infrastructure for the sensors.
- To design, develop, and supply signal conditioning and low-level integration for single sensors and unimodal arrays.
- To unite sensory system and physics-based simulation to accelerate the development of the artificial "cognitive" system.
Work package 4 - Engineering analysis and control theory
- Develop appropriate mathematical models of ECCEROBOT system dynamics
- Create a classical engineering model-based system analysis and synthesis of controllers.
- Evaluate performance in tasks where the classical engineering approach is applicable.
- Establish the limits of the classical engineering approach and identify tasks and situations requiring an alternative Cognitively-based approach
- Working within the framework defined by TUM in WP7, provide the basis for a “synergetic” approach
that uses classical methods at some control levels, and an alternative cognitively-based approach at others
Work package 5 - Physics based simulation and internal modelling for control
- To develop ECCEOS physics based simulations of CRONOS2/ECCE1, ECCE2, and ECCE3 robots and components
- To perform motion capture on CRONOS2/ECCE1, ECCE2, and ECCE3 robots as required
- To develop SLAM-based visual system for inserting body, surfaces, and objects into physics based world model
- To connect robot proprioceptors to ECCEOS for real time configuration and feedback
- To develop and test internal model based control for CRONOS2/ECCE1, ECCE2, and ECCE3 robots
- To integrate the internal model based controller into the architectural framework defined by TUM in WP7 Task 7.4..
Work package 6 - Sensory motor strategies for control and cognition
- perform extensive quantitative analyses of the causal interaction between morphology, control, and robot behaviour
- provide a quantitative understanding of how morphology induces information structure, guides information flow, and simplifies control
- extend the notion of forward model to incorporate body dynamics
- develop an explicit quantitative framework that unifies morphology, control, and behavioural processes on the basis of their informational dependencies
Work package 7 - Architecture, standards, integration, and evaluation
- Establish a set of design tools, and familiarise partners with their use.
- Monitor quality and conformance to standards
- Design, develop, and supply power, bus, and actuator electronics
- Design integration architecture and software
- Carry out integration testing
- Carry out final evaluation
Work package 8 - Knowledge Transfer and Dissemination
- Effective dissemination of knowledge and scientific results both inside and outside the consortium
- Management of IPR and potential exploitation issues.
- Video and text documentation, archiving, and dissemination of the novel constructional techniques developed in the project